Whatever you do, the way you manage your data will have a huge impact on your bottom-line. Monitoring a large number of data is called database administration.
Database administration is an important function in any organization with one or more databases. Big companies have full time database administrator. However, many small businesses outsource or contract he role of a specialized vendor.
Effective database administration aims to ensure maximum up time for the database. This allows for the database to be accessed as needed. This involves proactive periodic monitoring and troubleshooting. For that, DBA should have in-depth knowledge of the database as well as perhaps training in the platform (database engine and operating system) on which the database runs.
There are lots of other secondary things related to database management and that should be taken care of. These may include:
- Database Security: It is vital to ensure authorized access to the database.
- Database Tuning: It is important to tweak any of the parameters such as server memory allocation, file fragmentation and disk usage to optimize performance.
- Backup and Recovery: One of the most crucial activities of database administration is to ensure the adequate backup and recovery procedures in place to recover from any accidental or deliberate loss of data.
- Producing Reports from Queries: DBAs are required to generate reports by writing queries to be run against the database.
There are many benefits of the right database administration management system. Having an effective system in place:
- Improves the access to data, which has an impact on planning for the future.
- Helps maintain a strong relationship between data
- Makes updating new data easier and faster
- Enables marketing managers to access the right data quickly and easily
With that, the importance of monitoring and managing database is quite obvious. But it is not that easy, particularly for small businesses. Apart from the right dba management system, you will need an expert in database. That is why small even big companies on the lookout for the way to cut the cost on operation are increasingly outsourcing it to third party vendor.
This has many benefits, but the most important one is that this frees your crucial time. So you can better focus on your business expansion strategy. But when you choose to outsource, look for the top data support services offered a leading IT solutions provider. For the high-end data support services, you can rely on names like Advanced IT, one of the best DBA consulting companies, serving the IT community for more than a decade.